Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I read, you read, but I can't operate goodreads...

Since GoodReads has got me running scared with trying to upload anti-spyware viruses to my computer every time I try and go on the site to add the latest books I'm reading, I'm adding my current reads here. You'll notice my GoodReads box along the left side of my blog is currently empty, so here's what's up:

A Gathering of Days, by Joan W. Blos (Aladdin Books 1979), is one of the Newbery Medal books I found at the Sonoma County Book Festival a few weeks ago. See, I am still keeping up with my one Newbery book every couple of weeks! (so far Holes by Louis Sachar is my favorite).


Fudge-A-Mania, by Judy Blume (Berkley Books 1990). After reading a section of her website on how Judy Blume got started writing, a friend of mine said she noticed some similarities between me and this amazing author. Being compared to Judy Blume on some aspect, any aspect, I'll take it, and I can only hope to be as successful as her one day, but after reading about her myself, I did feel like we had some things in common, like; having to write everyday and feeling the burn of a story inside of you just waiting to get out. And, that Judy Blume had a huge imagination as a child but didn't write down her stories until later. As a kid I too was always coming up with stories and ideas of games to play with my three sisters, one summer I even choreographed a music video to George Michael's song Faith along with my sisters, which my step-dad recorded with a camcorder he'd borrowed from work - when I was 17, my sisters, by the way, thought it would be funny to show that same video to a boy I had just started dating, I don't think I could've been more embarrassed! But anyhow, I can't wait to re-read Fudge-A-Mania!

And lastly, the exceptional, classic, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Signet Classics 1959). Originally published in 1884; I haven't read this book since junior high or high school and I'm so glad I picked it up again. I love how the gritty, crude, coarse storyline between Huck and his dad, even though at times hard to read, makes me clench my fists and feel anxiety in the pit of my stomach. After I'm done with this book I plan on reading more "boy books" so I can get into the mindset to write a gritty, coarse book myself. So far I'd say that the three novels I've written are for girls and boys, but since they all have female protagonists, I'd like my next book to have a male protagonist with real "boy" issues. I can't wait to start writing! What are your favorite "boy books" reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment