Tuesday, September 22, 2009

newbery finds

Newbery Honor and Newbery Medal books - is there anything better for a middle-grade writer to read?

The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg

Holes by Louis Sachar

A Gathering of Days by Joan W. Blos

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater

I picked up these great books, and many others, for a dollar each at the Sonoma County Book Festival this past weekend. It was a bright, hot, sunny day and I had a blast digging through boxes finding great reads, listening to writer's read from their stories, and I even stopped by the SCBWI booth to say hello to some fellow members.

I started reading Holes by Louis Sachar last night which I've already fallen in love with 5 chapters in. Have you read this book? Stanley Yelnats - notice anything funny about that name (the last is a reverse of the first) - clever, right - is a kid who is sent to a juvenile delinquent camp out in the middle of nowhere to dig holes in the heat. I remember back a few years ago when I was taking a children's writing course, where a wonderful teacher/ author Lisa Ann Sandell had us read an excerpt from this book. The saying is true you know- if you want to be a better writer, become a better reader. That said, my new goal is to try and read one Newbery Medal or Honor book every other week! I'll keep you posted ~

1 comment:

  1. So...when I lived in Pittsburgh I worked at a high school for juvenile delinquints..ok..they were "at-risk youth"...but for real...they had anklets and probation officers...so you make the call. Anyway, we started this literacy program where I would take them once a week to a local elementary school and they would read to 5th graders...and the first book we read was "Holes"! Oh Yelnats...pretty amazing, huh? The kids really got into it...and my dear juvies...well, I think they got some enjoyment out of reading to the little ones as well. Anyway...you just brought me back to a very different time in my life...and made me write something...however small and insignificant...pretty much the first thing I've written beside a lesson plan or an email in a year...so go Sam!!! woo hoo...fyi...love that la vie en rose is playing as I write this. I look forward to reading more my friend!

    ReplyDelete