Wednesday, March 17, 2010

say it with a wave

Staying on the topic of the beach and the big beautiful blue, I spotted a wordless picture book at Copperfield's bookstore the other day that blew me out of the water.... Wave by Suzy Lee (Chronicle Books, 2008). I can't really explain this book, you just have to see it for yourself. Not only is Wave my new favorite wordless picture book, I'm making Suzy Lee flipside's featured artist this month.

"A sunny day."
"A curious little girl."
"A playful wave."


"Artist Suzy Lee has taken these three simple elements and created a visual tour de force that needs absolutely no words to tell its universal story." I couldn't say it any better than that. I love wordless picture books because you can make up your own story, or you can just enjoy the illustrations. I think it would be fun to sit with a group of children and ask them to write one word for each picture which they feel best describes that picture. I'd be curious to see what they'd come up with. Play along yourself with the three pictures posted below if you like. I've added my own words.....


Almighty



Carefree



Mistrust



Suzy Lee was born in Seoul, South Korea and now lives in Singapore. She has also produced several other beautiful wordless picture books like La Revanche des Lapins (Revenge of the Rabbits) and ALICE in Wonderland, both of which I'm itching to buy.


(Lee, Suzy. Wave. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2008).

No comments:

Post a Comment