Monday, August 24, 2009

encouraging rejections

Rejections are good, they make us try harder, make us reevaluate our work, make us fight for what we really want! - they also can be, admittedly, kind of a bummer. But, I am determined to look on the bright side. I finally received my first response from a publisher for my query about Avondale, and, in terms of how rejections go, this one wasn't all that bad.
First, the letter was personalized (in the past I've received just a form letter for another book); secondly, the editor who read it said she enjoyed reading my imaginative story but that it didn't meet her company's publication needs at this time; and lastly, the letter ended wishing me luck with finding the right publishing house.
Publishing is, after all, a business just like everything else, and sometimes, even if your book is amazing, if it's not at the top of a list of books that an editor needs at that point in time, then it will be passed over (this is what I tell myself anyway).
In the Sept. issue of my favorite magazine, Writer's Digest, there is an article called,"What to Do After an Encouraging Rejection." Fitting, especially for me. Well I read it last night, and was happy to learn that if a writer receives a Personalized Rejection, then it most likely means that your manuscript is head and shoulders above the majority of submissions... Okay, I'll gladly take that, because to me, it signifies that I'm actually getting somewhere...even if it is at a snail's pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment