Wednesday, July 1, 2009

quirky art and Caldecott coolness

Recently I was researching the art work of some Caldecott Medal Winners, (that's an annual award given to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children published that year) and I came across 2008 winner, Brian Selznick, who won for, The Invention of Hugo Cabret. This book looks awesome, I can't wait to go pick it up, it has nearly 300 pages of pictures, and over 500 total to tell the story with both words and art - wow! can you imagine all the work that must've gone into this! Go to Mr. Selznick's site where you can watch a short clip of his drawings from the book: http://www.theinventionofhugocabret.com/about_hugo_intro.htm
I was also happy to discover that this artist has an appreciation for things unique. Browse his site and visit my favorite page, "weird websites I like." Of course my eye was instantly drawn to the link with the catch words, "...very, very strange". I couldn't resist clicking it to see what he meant by graffiti coming to life, and I wasn't disappointed. Awesome, unique, bizarre - all the things we appreciate here on flipside finds. See for yourself: http://www.vimeo.com/993998?pg=embed&sec=993998

(Selznick, Brian. The Invention of Hugo Cabret. New York: Scholastic Press, 2007).

No comments:

Post a Comment