Wednesday, December 2, 2009

my dad the photographer

It's been awhile since I posted some of my father's photographs. And seeing as Father Winter is finally on his way, here are some photos to say a fond farewell to autumn, my most favorite season:


Of this group, I like this photo the best. The dark, eerie trees put me in the mood to read a Gothic novel - Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Bronte is my favorite. My dad gave me my great-grandfather's copy of this book, it is the second edition. I think my great-grandfather was friends with a famous writer, who's name I can't remember, I'll have to get back to you on that (UPDATE below). I read my great-grandfather's copy once but the binding is too weak to do that again. I love the old-fashioned canvas book covers from the 19th Century. It seems weird now that there once was a time when book covers didn't have fancy, color illustrations. Makes me wonder what will happen if/when paper books don't exist one day - when everything has turned electronic...?


My dad took this one in New York State. This is the Ausable River on a beautiful autumn day.



This is a view of Spud Mountain in Colorado.



Moon rising in Colorado.



An old mine in Colorado. Look at the bands of colors on the trees.


Under a group of trees in Colorado.

Thanks again to my dad, Rick Hagar, for sharing more of his beautiful photos. I hope the cold weather that's on its way brings pictures of snow!
12-16-09 UPDATE: Robert Frost was the author/poet my great-grandfather was friends with. He lived in Middlebury, Vermont for some time - where Frost was teaching - and while there he made friends with the writer. My grandfather (his son), known endearingly as Grumpy, wrote stories about his life before he passed away, and in one of them he recalled visiting Robert Frost's house as a child and playing with the poet's dogs, which my grandfather would ride like ponies because they were so big. Oh, if only I'd been alive then....

(All photos property of Richard Hagar. Any unauthorized use is prohibited and illegal).

1 comment:

  1. I really love the first one as well. It looks like a painting! Creativity must run in the family.

    ReplyDelete