Thursday, October 8, 2009

mother goose


I joined some friends with kids at a shopping event the other week called Just Between Friends, where you can buy second-hand items like clothes, toys, and books - my favorite - and picked up this Mother Goose book for five dollars! My own mother used to read these fun stories to me when I was a child. Five Toes was one of my favorites. I loved when my mom pinched my toes and made the wee!wee! noise. I read it to my friend's daughter the other week and she really loved it too. Plus, the illustrations by Blanche Fisher Wright are adorable.


Five Toes

This little pig went to the market;
This little pig stayed at home;
This little pig had roast beef;
This little pig had none;
This little pig said, "Wee, wee!
I can't find my way home."


Peter, Peter, Pumpkin-Eater
Peter, Peter, pumpkin-eater,
Had a wife and couldn't keep her;
He put her in a pumpkin shell.
And there he kept her very well.


Pat-A-Cake

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
Silver bells and cockle-shells,
And pretty maids all of a row.

Humpty Dumpty
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall;
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
All the King's horses, and all the King's men,
Cannot put Humpty Dumpty together again.


(Barnes and Noble Publishing Inc. The Real Mother Goose. New York. Checkerboard Press, Inc., 2004.)

No comments:

Post a Comment